Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Unemployed - Part 2

I've been without a job now for about a month. The layoff affected more than 10% of the small company I had worked for over two years. I say Part 2 because this is the second time in four years that I have been laid off. The first company I had been with 17 years, so that was a very emotional departure for me. The latest layoff came out of the blue. We had heard rumblings for a couple of weeks, but nothing happened until one Tuesday morning when one by one we were called into the human resources office and told that our positions were being eliminated immediately. I was home within the hour. We were told to file for unemployment and we would be paid through the end of January. Having learned from my previous layoff, I did file with the unemployment office. It's just one more indignity you learn to deal with.

I think the hardest part of being unemployed for me is emotional. Don't get me wrong, I definitely need the money. The first week isn't too bad, you take care of yourself and look casually for a job...putting your name out there to friends and people you may have been dealing with at the old job, just in case something is available. The next week and the next week involve sending out the resume every single day to everyone you can. If you're lucky you get an interview. If you're really lucky (and good) you get the job offer. Most of the time you don't get the interview, so you keep sending out the resume and hoping you get lucky.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Hang in there, Bug! You got the stuff.